The main way to change your name is by filing a Petition for a Change of Name.
If you are getting divorced and want to change your name to your former name, you can usually do that in your divorce case. If you are getting divorced in California, and the divorce is not final yet, you can ask the court to restore your name to your former name. Contact a lawyer or your local Family Law Facilitator  to find out how to do this.
If you were divorced in California and didn't change your name in your divorce, you can ask the court to restore your former name. Contact a lawyer or your local Family Law Facilitator  to find out how to do this.
The following forms will be needed to change your name:
- Petition for Change of Name (NC-100) 
- Attachment to Petition for Change of Name (NC-110 )
- Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120 )
- Civil Case Cover Sheet (CM-010 )
- Decree Changing Name (NC-130 )
- 2 self-addressed envelopes with postage
- Request to Waive Court Fees (FW-001 ) (optional)
- Order on Court Fee Waiver (FW-003 ) (optional)
Sample forms are provided to review what the forms may look like when completed.
WHERE TO GET FORMS:
Internet: For free, you can log onto www.courts.ca.gov  and click on “Forms & Rules” and then “Browse All Forms.” You can locate the forms needed by clicking on the Name Changes group of forms and then by form number.
Court Clerk’s Office: For $5, you may obtain a packet of blank forms from:
- San Luis Obispo Courthouse Annex: 1035 Palm St., Room 385
- Grover Beach Courthouse: 214 South 16th St.
- Paso Robles Courthouse: 901 Park St. Room 105
Court Filing Fee: The Court will charge a fee to file this case, unless you apply and qualify for a fee waiver.
Newspaper Fee: In addition to the Court filing fee, you will need to pay the newspaper a fee to publish your Order to Show Cause for Change of Name (NC-120). Publishing the name change request in a local newspaper is required and the Court cannot waive the newspaper fee.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROCESS
- New Times (805) 546-8208 ext. 24
- The Tribune (805) 544-7355
- The Times Press-Recorder (805) 739-2157